Workshop on Technological Innovations for a Low Carbon Society
The Academy of Science of South Africa invites you to attend a workshop on
Technological Innovations for a Low Carbon Society
Date: Monday and Tuesday, 8 – 9 October 2012
Time: 9:00 (TBC)
Venue: Nedbank Auditorium, Menlyn Maine, Pretoria
The Academy of Science of South Africa (ASSAf), in collaboration with Leopoldina (the German Academy of Science), with support from the National Research Foundation (NRF) and Nedbank, invites you to a two-day collaborative workshop on Technological Innovations for a Low Carbon Society to be held from 8 – 9 October 2012, at the new green-star-rated regional office Nedbank Menlyn Maine, Pretoria, South Africa.
The workshop is part of the German-South African Year of Science 2012/13, which was initiated by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) and the South African Department of Science and Technology (DST). The Year of Science aims to achieve the greatest possible degree of cooperation between these two centres of scientific endeavour. The overall goal of this workshop is to draw on the collective expertise of German and South African scientists, engineers and policymakers to address the topic of ‘Technological Innovations for a Low Carbon Society’ and to provide evidence-based information that will be useful and relevant for policymakers and researchers in both countries.
The specific objectives of the workshop are:
- To provide a platform for German and South African experts to share knowledge and discuss opportunities pertaining to low carbon technologies
- To make recommendations to policymakers to strengthen innovation in low carbon technologies
- To produce and disseminate a workshop report
The themes of the workshop are:
- Innovation processes in South Africa: How is technology driving growth?
- Water-energy-food nexus for resilient societies
- Smart city innovations
- Potential of solar power in South Africa
- Low cost, low carbon innovations for poverty alleviation
- New and emerging technologies
- Economic opportunities, research and development and public engagement for low carbon technological innovation
Attendance to the event is free. Please can you confirm your attendance by 6 September 2012 as only a limited number of participants can be accommodated.
Kindly send the completed registration form to Zarina Moolla (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org / Fax: 086 505 8141).Print This Article Email This Article