Vision & Mission
The Academy of Science of South Africa (ASSAf) aspires to be the apex organisation for science and scholarship in South Africa, recognised and connected both nationally and internationally. Through its membership which represents the collective voice of the most active scholars in all fields of scholarly enquiry, ASSAf aims to generate evidence-based solutions to national problems.
The mission of the Academy is to:
- Recognise scholarly achievement and excellence in the application of scientific thinking for the benefit of society;
- Mobilise Members to ensure that they are available to contribute their expertise in the service of society;
- Conduct systematic and evidence-based studies on issues of national importance, producing authoritative reports that have significant impact on policy-making;
- Promote the development of an indigenous system of South African research publications, increasing their quality, visibility, accessibility and impact;
- Publish science focused periodicals that will showcase the best of southern African research to a wide national and international audience;
- Develop productive partnerships with national, regional and international organisations with a view to building our capacity in science and its application within the National System of Innovation (NSI);
- Create diversified sources of funding for sustainable functioning and growth of a national academy;
- Communicate effectively with relevant stakeholders through various media and fora.