Open Access: SciELO SA
SciELO SA is a new and prestigious open-access (free to access and free to publish), full-text searchable database of selected, high-quality South African scholarly journals.
SciELO SA is an integral part of the SciELO (Scientific Electronic Library Online) portal, which had its origins in Brazil and is now distributed across most South American countries. It is managed by ASSAf, funded by the South African Department of Science and Technology (DST) and endorsed by the South African Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET). SciELO SA is currently strengthening the scholarly journal evaluation and accreditation systems in South Africa.
A pilot site for SciELO SA, initially on the SciELO Brazil site was established and has been live since 1 June 2009. In April 2012 the SciELO SA team started hosting the site independently. In April 2013 the collection was certified to become part of the SciELO Network Global Portal which feeds into the Web of Knowledge portal.
The South African Journal of Science, published by the Academy of Science of South Africa (ASSAf), was the first prestigious, peer-reviewed journal to be fully open access on the SciELO SA collection.
Journals selected must first go through a rigorous process of quality appraisal in which journal accreditation by the Department of Higher Education and Training is considered as well as the peer-review panel evaluations conducted by ASSAf. This ensures that the most reliable, credible and innovative research by South Africa’s top researchers will be available in full to any person with internet access and the desire to learn, at no cost. Actual usage by scholars and scientists is monitored by the indexing system in various ways, including journal impact factors, and article citation and download statistics.
As at June 2014 there are 41 journals in the collection, with one title being added per month, as well as 500+ issues and 9 000+ articles. An average of 2 354 visits per day is currently being recorded.
It is foreseen that eventually, after the ASSAf Peer Review Panels evaluations are complete, more than 180 South African Scholarly journals may be published on the collection.
Scholarly Publishing Staff
- • Director: Susan Veldsman
• SciELO SA Operations Manager: Louise van Heerden
• SciELO SA IT Co-ordinator: Mohau Moja
• SciELO SA Junior Project Officers
• SciELO SA general email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Journals Uploaded to SciELO SA
The South African Journal of Science, published by the Academy of Science of South Africa (ASSAf), was the first prestigious, peer-reviewed journal to be fully open access on the SciELO platform.
The scholarly journals on the SciELO SA platform so far are:
• Acta Theologica
• African Human Rights Law Journal
• African National History
• Curationis – Journal of the Democratic Nursing Organisation of South Africa
• De Jure
• Health SA Gesondheid
• HTS Theological Studies
• In die Skriflig
• Indo-Pacific Journal of Phenomenology
• Journal of Energy in Southern Africa
• Journal for the South African Institution of Civil Engineering
• Journal of the South African Veterinary Association
• Journal of the South African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy
• Koers – Bulletin for Christian Scholarship
• Old Testament Essays
• Onderstepoort Journal of Veterinary Science
• PER: Potchefstroom Electronic Law Journal
• PINS: Psychology in Society
• South African Dental Journal
• South African Journal of Agricultural Extension
• South African Journal of Industrial Psychology
• SAMJ: South African Medical Journal
• South African Journal of Animal Science
• South African Journal of Chemistry
• South African Journal of Child Health
• South African Journal of Economic and Management Sciences
• South African Journal of Education
• South African Journal of Industrial Engineering
• South African Journal of Occupational Therapy
• South African Journal of Science
• South African Journal Surgery
• South African Orthopaedic Journal
• Studia Historiae Ecclesiasticae – Journal of the Church History of Southern Africa
• Tydskrif vir Geesteswetenskappe
• Tydskrif vir Letterkunde
• Water SA (Online)
• Yesterday and Today
For further information contact Louise van Heerden, the SciELO SA Operations Manager.
- Book Study
- National Scholarly Editors’ Forum
- Incentives for Editors
- Peer Review Panels
- Online Scientific Writing